By now we have all seen Beyonce’s Lemonade and been blown-away. What particularly stood out to me was the feature of Warsan Shire’s poem ‘For Women Who Are ‘Difficult’ To Love’. The poem powerfully encapsulates the feelings of a woman who is afraid she will never be loved because she insists on being her unconventional self.
If you have ever been told that you are difficult or arrogant or abrasive or opinionated; I have this to tell you: so what? Here are 5 quotes from phenomenal and ‘difficult’ women in the entertainment industry who kick-ass:
1. Sevdaliza: One of my friends recently introduced me to this talented, insightful and incredible musician. I have had her music on repeat ever since I discovered her and cannot get enough. Her lyrics from her song ‘That Other Girl’ particularly stand out.
He never knew what I was made of
Heat couldn’t melt me
Cold couldn’t waiver me
He never knew my form or shape
His heart couldn’t melt me
Water couldn’t leave me
2. Mindy Kaling: Mindy Kaling is the creator and star of the show with the best one-liners on TV: The Mindy Project. However, I resent those who tell me I watch this show because I, like Mindy, am of South Asian decent. By treating Mindy Kaling as palatable only to those who share her racial background is undervaluing her accomplishments as a writer, showrunner, producer, and actor – as though her voice is not worthy of mainstream approval, only for those who share her race.
There are little Indian girls out there who look up to me, and I never want to belittle the honor of being an inspiration to them. But while I’m talking about why I’m so different, white male show runners get to talk about their art. I always get asked, ‘Where do you get your confidence?’ I think people are well meaning, but it’s pretty insulting. Because what it means to me is, ‘You, Mindy Kaling, have all the trappings of a very marginalized person. You’re not skinny, you’re not white, you’re a woman. Why on earth would you feel like you’re worth anything?’
3. Jennifer Lopez: Jennifer Lopez needs no introduction. She has proven time and time again that hard-work and dedication can take you wherever you want to go.
You are valued, you are a goddess and don’t forget that
4. India Arie: I love India Arie. Her music is empowering, thought-provoking and real.
What did not demolish me, simply polishes me
5. Tyra Banks: Say whatever you want about Tyra Banks, but the fact remains that she is a trailblazer in the modelling, fashion and beauty industries, and spares some words of wisdom:
Never dull your shine for somebody else.